Marines wearing cammies to local high school?!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marines wearing cammies to local high school?!

So I was talking to my bro, and asked him how high school was going and all, and he told me the usual stuff. Then he said, "Oh, every once in a while Marines that are on leave or recruiters assistance show up and PT us in gym class." And I was like "Well, that's cool." And he told me "But they wear their cammies. I thought you guys couldn't wear cammies out in town?"

I asked him if he was sure. He said yup, they wear their deserts with sleeves rolled up. WTF?! Now, my bro know the difference between Marines and other branches, obviously, his older brother's a Marine and he's been wanting to be one ever since I came home for boot leave in '03.

I admit, all I have to go off of is what my bro told me. But if it's true, I'm disgusted. How can these guys not know they're doing something wrong? I plan on visiting the local recruiters and asking them if they know anything about this. And I told my bro if you know the next time they're showing up, let me know so I can get their names and ranks and let their higher-ups know!

I thought all Marines knew we have to set a higher standard than the other branches of service! Wearing cammies to a local high school? As General Chapman, the 24th Commandant (God rest his soul) would've said, "MARINES DON'T DO THAT!"

It is for the purpose of recruitment, big deal.
    I had a recruiter that would wear his ghillie suit to the high school whenever they had a table there.

Like I said, these are kids are on leave and RA. They're not recruiters. Even so, I never believed recruiters should be held to different standards. Sure, they need a lot more leeway because of the nature of their billet, but still....

Quote Originally Posted by CplGonzo17 View Post
    Like I said, these are kids are on leave and RA.
    That is why. You receive orders for RA, it is not a leave block. You are an asset of the recruiters.

This is a non-issue. The Marines aren't turning into the Army regarding uniform etiquette, this is a special situation.

There is a difference between wearing cammies to the mall or wearing them to the high school. Whether on RA or on leave, it is a sanctioned Marine Corps event- and the uniform of the day is the utility uniform. There is a purpose behind wearing the uniform, it isn't just for grins.

When I was a LCpl I worked for a SSgt who had been a recruiter in Cali. He said they had custom-made surf shorts that looked like dress blues (blue with the red stripe) and they would hang out at the beach and recruit.
    Sounds like these Marines are just pt'ing in their cammies for dramatic effect.

Well, what would you expect them to wear at the gym, dress blues? Good for those Marines that showed up and prepared to give me fifty.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Uniform of the day!

Credits
    Savings
    Go to The School in Dress Blues or other proper Uniform and the change in the locker room. That's why the schools have locker rooms. MARINES don't leave Base unless they are in Proper Uniform or Civilian clothes. Dog Faces and Sailors do s*** like that. Always represent OUR CORP with the upmost respect and reverence.....

Until you actually walk the streets as a Recruiter, I wouldn't recommend questioning their practices. These Marines know their AO's better than most residents and they know what they have to do to get the positive attention required to meet their mission month after month.

Gunz out ~

Quote Originally Posted by SupChf View Post
    Until you actually walk the streets as a Recruiter, I wouldn't recommend questioning their practices. These Marines know their AO's better than most residents and they know what they have to do to get the positive attention required to meet their mission month after month.

Gunz out ~
    Roger that, Gunny. Like I said, maybe I'm just hating because I can't wear the uniform at all anymore. S/F

Does anyone really really want to get into the flap in Berkeley, CA a bit ago when Marine Recruiters were asked to leave Dodge?

Ah yes, Dungaree Liberty and a good time was had by all.

It's called DI day. I am on RA right now and we just did that last week. It's pretty much just an IT session during the kids PE class.

Thread Information